This building, a quintessential part of Marlborough history, was
owned by Simon Herbert Howe, who was the largest shoe manufacturer in the City
between 1855 and 1890. Mr. Howe owned six factories throughout the City, with only
two buildings remaining. This building witnessed its owner to become the first
mayor of the City as well as the rise and fall of S.H. Howe Shoe Company. In 1911
the property was acquired by B.A. Corbin & Son. and was in operation by that company
until 1971. In 1976, it was rehabbed and turned into Corbin Plaza shopping center
with Marlboro Seafoods being one of the shops there. Since then the property
changed hands a few times, before it was acquired in late 2010 to be developed into
its present use as residential condominium and being completely gut rehabbed
to enter the new era in its life.
Howe Shoe Factory Condominium project connects the history of shoe industry in
Marlborough with the present time. The logo of the Howe Shoe Factory Condominium
shares the common elements with the City Seal, the design of which was influenced
by S. H. Howe when he became the first mayor of the City in 1890.
The logo emphasizes strong association with important historical events in the
life of this great City. As of 2016 all units are sold and owner occupied.